FFEN provides professional services and monetary support to Minnesota nonprofits to ensure that basic human needs are met in the communities they serve.
Identifying an unmet need
• One in nine Minnesotans faced hunger in 2016, causing them to turn to community food shelves during a crisis.
• Resources for people in poverty can be fragmented and difficult to access. The volunteers who run food shelves often do not know about other assistance available for clients.
• Small community food shelves are mostly focused on the daily work of providing food. Strategic planning for their organization is sometimes a low priority.
What makes FFEN unique
• FFEN’s unique approach combines both food shelf experts and monetary support to solve problems. This means that food shelves can simultaneously meet the immediate needs of clients while enhancing the organization’s long-term stability.
• FFEN‘s vision is to positively impact all 300 of Minnesota’s community food shelves by 2020.
• FFEN also serves as a connector between people in need and available resources in their communities